Tuesday 15 May 2018

Hume and Hovell Walking Track: Micalong Swamp Flora Reserve

General Information


Distance:   14.2 kilometers
Total climb:   110 meters
Time taken:   2 hours 15 minutes
Map:  Bobbys Plains 8627-3N 1:25 000
Guide:  Graeme Barrow, 30 Family Bushwalks in and around Canberra (2002), pp.35-37.
Start point distance by road from Canberra GPO:   90 kilometers (via Brindabella)
Start point map grid reference:  55H FA 39676 937606
Destination map grid reference:  55H FA 37790 88299
End point:  same as start

Note: Much of this walk follows a section of the Hume & Hovell Walking Track.

Route


http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

Description

I began this walk on Micalong Road near where it intersects with Brindabella Road, about 28 kilometers west of Brindabella. I followed Micalong Road south along the east side of the Swamp to an intersection at map reference 55H FA 39482 92757 (it's possible to shorten the walk by about 2 kilometers by driving to this point instead of walking). I then followed the side track to the right which led me to a boardwalk crossing to the other side of the Swamp.

 

On the other side of the Swamp I continued south along management trails which were muddy and sometimes covered by large puddles.


The views across the Swamp were very pleasant though. At one point there was even some residual snow from falls the week before.



The trail eventually led to another boardwalk crossing, this time of Chinamans Creek, a tributary of Micalong Creek.


Continuing on to the southern end of the Swamp I turned north to make my way back to the car.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Phil
    thanks for this useful description. my small bushwalking group (also mostly retired public servants!) is planning to do this walk on 8 Sept, but I've been told that the Brindabella Rd isnt suitable for 2WD vehicles. Are you able to give any guidance? Regards
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Peter
    Sorry I missed this comment and did not respond in time. For some reason it failed to notify me that your comment was there.
    I've only driven Brindabella Road in an AWD vehicle, but I don't recall the road being too bad compared to others I've driven. I suppose though that its suitability might depend on the type of 2WD vehicle being used.
    I hope you were able to do your Micalong Swamp walk and it all went well. And apologies again for not responding earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phil, thank you for posting this interesting walk at Micalong Swamp. I was reading Hovell's journal of his expedition with Hume. He wrote about the swamp which he had travelled on 30th and 31th Oct 1824. It took me a while to realise this is the swamp he was refering to. I found your blog through Google search about this swamp. Despite I'm living Melbourne, I will enjoy reading your posts as I'm also interested in hiking.
    Dinh

    ReplyDelete