Friday 12 September 2014

Nowra: Ben's Walk and The Grotto North

General Information


Distance:  6 kilometers (about 3 kilometers each walk)
Total climb:  unknown
Time taken:  2 hours 30 minutes
Maps:  Nowra 9028-3S 1:25 000; Berry 9028-3N 1:25 000
Guide: none
Start point distance by road from Canberra GPO:  194 kilometers
Start point map grid reference:  Ben's Walk - 56H KG 79713 38368 [Nowra]
                                                   The Grotto North - 56H KG 79205 391205 [Berry]
Destination map grid reference:  loop walks
End point:  same as start


Note: These are actually two separate walks with a short drive between them. Ben's walk follows Nowra Creek on the south side of the Shoalhaven River at Nowra, while The Grotto North follows cliffs on the northern bank of the Shoalhaven at North Nowra.


Route


Ben's Walk


http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/


The Grotto North

http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

Description


The start of Ben's Walk is on Scenic Drive just behind the Nowra Showgrounds. I followed the trail south above Nowra Creek past a suspension footbridge through a light forest with rocky outcrops.





Eventually the trail crossed the creek and started back north on the opposite bank through more bushland and a large grassy reserve back to the suspension footbridge.





Crossing the footbridge I then made my way to the point where Nowra Creek joins the Shoalhaven River. I then climbed up to Hanging Rock Lookout, which provided panoramic views over the Shoalhaven.



Returning from there to my car, I drove over to North Nowra to do The Grotto North walk starting at the western intersection of Yurunga Drive and Kareela Crescent. Following the trail I first had a great view of Nowra Creek and Hanging Rock Lookout from the other side of the Shoalhaven.




Descending towards the river I passed through some very nice forest with views of the escarpment above me.





After continuing along the river for a way I turned back and climbed back up the escarpment to my car. I could have continued further along the river and climbed back up the escarpment at Murrell Place, but after a long day of walking on my own I felt I had done enough.

These are both reasonably nice short walks if you happen to be in the Nowra area. Of the two I think that The Grotto North is the more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment